Change for a lot of us is very difficult, but it doesn’t have to be as hard as it seems. First we have to understand the common obstacles that people have in changing a bad habit or lifestyle. From there we can begin taking steps to avoid these pitfalls.
Common obstacles to change
- People view change as something that is going to be painful or uncomfortable.
- Fear of failing again at trying to change a behavior.
- Loosing focus of the end goal and the need for the change.
- Setting too many goals or making the target goal too difficult to reach.
- Delayed gratification of a long term goal.
Tips for making change more successful
- Decide on what you want to work on.
- If changing or modifying a bad habit, only have one major goal to work on.
- Make a list of all the reasons “WHY” you wanted to make this lifestyle change.
- Create a deadline with a vision of what life will look like when you obtain your goal.
- Think small and break things into short term and more immediate goals. Do not focus too much on the end goal but on the success of the small steps you are taking to get there.
- Reward successes and effort level.
- If tempted to give up remember why you started this change to keep yourself focused. Think of what you have done and how much of a waste it would be if you quit now.
The information contained in the podcast and its outline does not substitute for medical or psychological treatment by a qualified healthcare provider. If necessary, you should seek out professional advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare providers.